Friends of Ironwood Forest is a local non-profit organization that works for the permanent protection of the biological, geological, archaeological, and historical resources and values for which the Ironwood Forest National Monument was established.
We accomplish our mission by providing resources such as volunteers, expertise, public outreach, education, and advocacy on behalf of the Ironwood Forest National Monument.
Opposition to I-11
… strongly opposes the proposed route of I-11 through Avra Valley…
Opposition to Provision Undermining the Antiquities Act
… opposition to any provisions which would undermine the Antiquities Act…
Nullify BLM Planning 2.0 February 10, 2017
… opposition to nullify BLM Planning 2.0…
America’s Voice for Conservation, Recreation and Preservation January 30, 2017
… request strongest possible funding levels… wildlife, water, natural resources…
Oppose Efforts to Block New Parks 2017.01.17
… opposition to blocking new parks bills…
Bears Ears and Gold Butte 2017.01
… designating Bears Ears and Gold Butte National Monuments.
Accomplishments and Awards
- 2010 Bureau of Land Management Making A Difference National Volunteer Award for our work to eradicate buffelgrass from the Waterman Mountains.
- 2010 Landscape Stewardship Award from the national Public Lands Foundation’s for our work to eradicate buffelgrass from the Monument.
- Labor donated by volunteers and organized by the Friends was leveraged for an additional $59,000 in FY2009 through the federal Challenge Cost Share program.
- Recruited volunteers and organized projects resulting in over 400 volunteer hours in FY2010 and over 700 volunteer hours on the Monument in FY2011.
- Organized a Monument tour for scientists participating in the Saguaro National Park Bio Blitz.
Our programs focus on accomplishing targeted conservation service projects, educating the public and Monument visitors about the natural and cultural resources, seeking out partnerships with other organizations, and serving as a strong advocate for protecting the Monument.